College History

WERRIBEE HIGH SCHOOL | WERRIBEE SECONDARY COLLEGE

Werribee Secondary College (established in 1956 as Werribee High School) was the first secondary school to open in the Wyndham area. This story of Werribee High School explains the history of schooling in Werribee, and was written to commemorate the official opening of the school in 1961.

Following it’s opening, the school continued to grow. In 1982, the ECA centre was completed, broadening the capabilities of the school. 2000 saw the name change to Werribee Secondary College officially registered, and was also when the college’s International Student Program first launched. In 2004, a fire at the college destroyed many of the original buildings. Determined to rebuild and move forward stronger, in 2006 the college was first accredited with the Council of International Schools (CIS), and in 2009 became the first Victorian Government school authorised to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP). We invite you to browse the media archives below to view more from the early years of our college history.

Over The Years

1950’s

1960’s

1970’s

1980’s